Actinomycosis is a rare type of infectious bacterial disease.
It is a slowly progressive infection caused by various bacterial species of the Actinomyces genus , most commenly Actinomyces israelii.
It moves gradually and infiltrate the body’s tissue causing swelling and inflammation. Eventually the damage of the tissue and scarring , pus filled abscesses appears in the mouth , lungs or GI tract, female genital tract , skin and mucosa. Small holes leaking pus form in the affected tissue.
The disease is characterised by the formation of abscesses and drainage sinus tracts. The draining pus contains yellow granules called sulphur granules.
Actinomycosis is different from actinomycetome , which is a chronic infection of the skin and subcutaneous tissue, usually involving the foot. It is caused by different species of Actinomyces that are found in soil and plant material in tropical regions.
The following factors increases the risk of infection :
- Poor oral hygiene after the dental surgery or trauma
- Use of Immunosuppressive Medication for chronic illness.
- Inhabitants of tropical countries
TYPES OF ACTINOMYCOSIS
- Oral Cervicofacial Actinomycosis: The infection devolpes inside the tissue of the neck, jaw or mouth . Most of the cases are complication of dental problems ,poor oral hygiene , dental abscess , tonsillitis , gum diseses , dental or jaw surgery.
- Thoracic Actinomycosis: It devolpes inside the lungs or connected airways. In most of the cases the infection is caused by the persons accidently ingested contaminated material into their lungs.
- Abdominal Actinomycosis: The Infection devolpes inside the stomach. It happens when the bacteria penetrates into the deep abdominal tissue. It may be due to the accidentally swallowing the fish or chicken bone containing actinomyces bacteria. It can also be developed after the appendix , bowel or abdominal surgery.
- Pelvic Actinomycosis: In this case the bacteria spreads from the female genital into the pelvis. This may be possible due to the long term use of the IUD , a type of contraceptive. Although very unlikely , the IUD may damage the lining of womb after very long period allowing the bacteria to penetrate into deep tissue.
- Primary Cutaneous Actinomycosis: This is very uncommon and effects exposed skin after direct implantation of the organism during the injury.
TREATMENT OPTIONS ::
Some persons responds very good to Ayurvedic Medicines and Panchakama Detoxification Therapies , which helps to remove the bacteria and repairs the damaged tissue.
If the infection is not deep seated, then the oral medications work. If it is not then surgical intervention is needed.
In some cases the Oral and Injection of Antibiotics and Surgery is needed to drainage the absecees.
If you have any query.
You may write us or contact us at -
+91-98033-56060, 98030-39369, 0181-2464111
email@example.com , firstname.lastname@example.org