Purpura is the name given to the purple colored spots ans patches of the skin or mucous membrane due to haemorrhage from small blood vessels.
Purpura occurs when the small blood vessels leak blood under the skin , Petechiae are small purpuric lesions upto 2mm in diameter.
Purpura spots that are larger than 1 cm are called ecchymoses or bruises.
Extravasted blood usually breaks down and changes colour over a few weeks from purple , orangs , brown and even blus and grey.
Platelets helps the blood clot. A person with purpura may have normal platelets counts ( Nonthrombocytopenic Purpuras ) or low Platelet counts ( Thrombocytopenic Purpuras)
Platelets disorders – this is called Thrombocytopaenia purpura
Primary Purpura – Idopathic Thrombocytopaenia Purpura – Destruction of Platelets due to unknown reason.
Secondary Thrombocytopaenia Purpura – Caused by external or Internal Factors – Infections , Systemic Diseases or Drug Induced.
Vascular Disorders – Non- Thrombocytopaenic Purpura
Blood may leak as a result of – damage to small blood vessels . Increase in the intraluminar presssure . Deficient vascular support as in aged or sun damaged skin in senile purpura.
DIC – Disseminated Intravascular Coagulation
Heparin induced thrombocytopaenia
Warfarin induced necrosis.
Normothrombocytopenic Purpuras causes are
- Blood clotting disorders
- Congenital rubella syndrome
- Drug that affect platelet function
- Fragile blood vessels in older people –senile purpura
- Congenital cytomegalovirus
- Vasculitits such as HSP
- Use of Stroids
Thrombocytopenic purpura may be
- ITP – Idiopathic thrombocytopenic Purpura
- Immune neonatal thrombocytopenia
- Drugs that reduce platelets count
AYURVEDIC VIEW ON PURPURA
The pathology starts due to the formation of “ama” the toxin produced by the faulty digestion. Poor digestion forms immature “rasa” or chyle . This is the main culprit to develop any disease. In PURPURA the dosha becomes disturbed due to the faulty rasa dhatu. All the three doshas gets vitiated and produce their symptoms.
The imbalances of the dosha causes the “ Rasa vaha Strotas Dushti” . The kapha gets deposits in the blood vessels causes the vessels brittle . When due to the aggravated vata’s the pressure increases in the blood vessels the blood ozzoes out from the blood capillires and vessels causes purpura.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR PURPURA
Treating the underlying cause is the first step of treatment. Find out weather it is ITP- HSP – Senile Purpura or due to other reason.
- The basic idea of the treatment for Purpura is to improve the Immune System of the body and get rid from the symptoms.
- If the patient is taking Nicotine in any form , stop immediately and encourage them to avoid smoking
- If it is due to the medications – drug induced – stop that medicine.
- Sun protection is very important , in case of senile purpura ,use sun screen to face neck and arms before going to sun. Sun screen moe than 35 SPF is good to protect. Use the cloths that covers the body so that it protects from sun rays .
- Oral herbal mixtures in the form of Capsules and tablets are very helpful to enhancing the Immune System and it detoxifies the body and removes the toxins form the body.
- Herbal creams and lotions for the skin to repair the damaged part.
- Ayurvedic Sun screen lotions are very helpful for protecting form sun rays and are very safe.
- Panchakarma is the another way to detoxify the body and enhance the Immune System to fight against the diseased cells.
If you have any query.
You may write us or contact us at –
Mobile: +91-98033-56060, 98030-39369, 0181-2464111
Email : firstname.lastname@example.org , email@example.com