Venus Leg Ulcers
Leg ulcers are full thickness skin loss on the leg or foot due to any cause. This occurs in association with a range of disease processes , most commonly with blood circulation diseases. Acut and chronic are the two types of leg ulcers. Acute ulcers are sometimes defined as those that follow the normal phases of healing , they usually shows signs of healing within 4 weeks , trauma snd post operative wounds came under these catageroies. Chronic ulcers persists more than 4 weeks.
Leg ulcers may be provoked by injury or pressure such as form a plaster cast or ill- fitting ski boot. They may also be caused by bacterial infection , especially impetigo , ecthyma and cellulitis and less often tropical ulcer , tuberculosis or leprosy.
The chronic leg ulcers are mainly due to the following reasons
- Chronic venous insufficiency in 40 to 80 %
- Chronic arterial insufficiency in 5 to 20 %
- Diabetes 15 to 25 %
The different causes of chronic ulcers includes skin cancer also , which is diagnosed by the skin biopsy of the lesion. Systemic causes for leg ulcers are Systemic Sclerosis , Vasculitis , Pyoderma gangrenosum.
CAUSES OF LEG ULCERS
There are two main reasons of venous leg ulcers are
Venous Insufficiency Arterial Insufficiency Diabetic Ulcers
VENOUS INSUFFICIENCY –
The improper functioning of the one way valves in the veins is the venous insufficiency. Veins drain blodd from the feet and lower legs uphill to the heart. Two mechanisms assists the uphill flow , the calf muscle pump which pushes blood towards the heart during exercise and the one way valves which prevents the flow of the blood back downhill. There may be reflux through the valves , obstruction of the veins or impaired calf pumping action result in pooling of blood around the lower part of the leg to just below the ankle. The increased venous pressure causes fibrin deposits around the capillaries which then act as a barrier to the flow of oxygen and nutrients to the muscles and skin tissue . the death of this tissue cells causes ulceration.
It is the poor circulation to the lower leg and foot and is most often due to atherosclerosis (AS). In As the arteries becomes narrowed from the deposits of fatty substances in the arterial vessels walls. It is usually due to high levels of the circulating cholesterol and aggravated by smoking and high blood pressure. The ateries fails to deliver oxygen and nutrients to the leg and foot resulting in tissue breakdown and leg ulcers are formed.
These ulcers are usually caused by the combinatin of both arterial blockage and nerve damage. Diabetic ulcers may formed at any body part but foot is the most common place to happen. The neuropathy reduces the awareness of pressure heat and injury. Rubbing and pressure ont eh foot goes unnoticed and causes damage to the skin and subsequently Neuropathic ulcers are formede.
AYURVEDIC VIEW ON ULCERS ( VRANA )
According to the Ayurveda ulcers are known as “Vrana”. Which is divided into two types Healing ulcers are called “ Nijaa Varna” and Non Healing ulcers are called “ Dushta Varna”. Varna is the skin condition in which the tissues undergo destruction andafter healing it leaves its scar.
From the Ayurvedic prospective, Vrana formation is a condition of Vata –Kapha origin. Vata is responsible for the faulty division of cells and Kapha for their growth. Hence Vata pushes Kapha out of the balance that results in the formation of Granthi.
Kapha plays the predominant role as it enters the affected dhatus. The dhatus that involves in this are Medas , Mamsa and Rakta. This results in the slow growth of the Granthi.
In non healing ulcers Pitta is vitiated and the condition becomes worst due to the involvement of all the three dosha. The agni becomes dushit and starts digesting the surroundings tissues of the body slowly. In this the dosha also goes to the Mamsa dhatu (Muscular tissue ) and Ashti dhatu ( Bones) , as it goes deep it becomes more difficult to treat.
AYURVEDIC TREATMENT FOR VENOUS LEG ULCERS
Ayurveda provides authentic treatment for Venous leg Ulcers
- Find out the cause first weather it is venous , arterial or neuropathic ulcer. Then the management starts accordingly.
- Compression therapy is the important part of the treatment and management of the venous leg ulcers. The healing become fast with compression. The using of the bandage that is wrapped from thye toes or foot to the area below the knee. This external pressure on the leg helps to heal the ucler by increasing the calf muscles pump action asnd reduce swelling in the leg.
- Oral Mixtures of Herbs and Herbo-Mineral Medicines are necessary for the infection of the ulcer.
- Pancha-Karma Detoxification Therapies
Proper Internal and External Oleation and fomentation followed by Virechana and Sansarjan Karma .
- Blood Letting – Rakt Mokshana via Leech in some cases.
- Cleansing the ulcers with the proper made Qwatha from the medicated antiseptic herbs that kill the organisms that causes the disease and maintains the proper hygiene.
- Dressing of the ulcer with a Paste of Herbal Medicines , it is applied deep into the lesions that check the growth of the disease causing organisms. It fastens the healing of the ulcers.
- Anti septic dressing with medicated oils and creams made of – Nimba Taila , Karanj oil , Jatyaide oil , Apamarg kshar oil.
- Oral medications which are useful in all types of ulcers are Dashmoolarishta , Khadirarishta , Haridra , Tulsi leaves , Panchtikt ghrit guggulu , Kanchanaar Guggulu , Mahamanjishtaide qwath , Panchatikta ghrit guggulu for local application also , Kaishore guggulu. Ashwgandha , Swarn makhika bhasma , Vaikrant bhasma , Abhrak bhasma are useful in skin ulcers.
- Buy Online
- Ask an Expert
- Contact us